The Foodie family plus my sister descended on New World Bistro and Bar in Albany, NY tonight. My sister had a hankering for their amazing adobe chicken wings and their even more amazing Bloody Mary.
We arrived promptly at 5 PM with the Senior crowd. FF (my 18 month old daughter) has a 7:30 PM bedtime so we eat dinner as humanly as possible.
The hostesses were lovely and friendly. Actually before I get into anything else, the service at this restaurant is fantastic, everyone was very attentive, helpful, followed through on our requests, and went the extra mile to find crayons for my daughter so that she could then fling them willy nilly around the restaurant.
Five minutes after we sat down, our table looked like this…
Here in descending order of tastiness is what we ordered (1 being the best, 10 being okay):
1. Adobe Chicken – crispy, full of flavor, and just delicious.
2. Bloody Mary – perfect balanced blend of horseradish, spice, and a subtle flavor of vodka.
3. Tuna Tartare – we have had this dish each of the three times we have been to this restaurant. It’s delicious with the light flavor, soft texture of the tuna, mixed with the crispness of the chip, mixed with the kimchi aioli was mouth-watering. However, the portion was noticeably smaller this time.
4. Watermelon Salad with house made queso fresco – This was so light and refreshing, and the watermelon was a surprising but interesting addition. I couldn’t get enough of this but J and my sister were not as impressed. I would order this dish over and over again.
5. New World Burger (cheddar/jalapeno) – Unfortunately because I ordered this medium well, I kind of shot myself in the foot as I didn’t enjoy the burger as much as I did before. But either way, the New World burger is a delicious burger, the bun is nice and soft and the fries are pretty good.
6. Sweetbreads with baba ganouche – My sister and I did not try this as I don’t venture into organ meats. According to my husband, the sweetbreads were not creamy and slightly overcooked. The baba ganouche was good. However, the caper berries were a nice touch and added a different flavor to the dish.
7. Salmon ceviche – J did not like this at all. It was swimming in sesame oil, and it killed the rest of the flavors in the dish.
8. New World Pizza (Pizza was with tomato sauce, Romano, and mozzarella cheese) – This pizza was completely disappointing. The sauce was missing and uninspiring with no taste because the Romano cheese overpowered everything.
Overall, after eating at New World three times now, the appetizers are the items that shine on the menu and I will keep on recommending their burgers. Our bill for all of that food plus a beer for J was $93 plus tip.
The meal and the food was enjoyable, but our nearly 18 month old daughter cannot sit in the same spot for more than 2 minutes. So when I say that we ate “together”, each of the three adults took turns entertaining and/or corralling her to keep the other diners safe from her destructive path.